Most people I know do not meet the recommended 12 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables daily. I certainly struggle to get to double digits and am always interested in finding delicious and easy options.
You probably already know how good a homemade smoothie can be for you but you may not realize how simple it can be to make one.
A while ago we invested in a Ninja – the best blender and food processor I have ever used – and it came with two single serve blenders, both of which collected dust in the back of the cupboard for almost a year.
When I returned from my holidays recently, I wanted to improve my health and my diet and decided juices and smoothies would be a great start. I am already feeling better and have the energy to work outside and on physically demanding projects all day. Today, I wanted to share what I’ve been doing because you may want to get healthier but are unsure where or how to begin. Or you think you have to give up something to be healthy and that is not always the case.
We begin each day with ‘swamp juice’ – a concoction of 3 Univera products that gives us the antioxidants and phytonutrients we need (more than 5 dinner salads and a bowl of berries!!), fills us with energy and keeps our immune systems strong.
We are now enjoying a smoothie every afternoon as our snack. I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl so I cut up whatever I have and throw it into the two individual blenders.
Today’s was the best yet – a delicious combination of apple, pear, peanut butter, protein powder, almond/coconut milk and water. Woswer!! It was excellent.
Some tips I have learned n the past few weeks:
- Bananas are a great way to add sweetness to a smoothie.
- You need less fruit than you might think – store any half apples etc… in a small container with a little lemon juice in the fridge till tomorrow’s smoothie
- Frozen orange juice concentrate adds a wonderfully unexpected hint to a simple one or two fruit blend
- Water is usually the best liquid choice
- Blend longer than you think you need to
- Our protein powder of choice is a raw vegan product (rice-based) from SunWarrior.
Hope you pull out your blender and start making delicious nutritious smoothies; be sure to share your favorite recipes, and any health changes you notice.