I gave up this god-awful habit a while back and have been feeling better about myself ever since. It’s not that I have reached perfection (does this even exist?) but I have grown to understand that in this moment I am, in fact, pure, perfect and complete. I am all that I need to be and that is good.
That said, there are habits I want to strengthen (and those I’d like to weaken) and commitments I want to deepen but this happens every day. If I wake up in the morning, it is a reminder that there is more to do – more love to share, more kindness to show, more support to be given – and I need to be at my best to do this work.
In the hope that some of this will inspire you to rethink your resolutions…
- I walk my dogs often; this soothes my soul, keeps my heart healthy and I get fresh air.
- I try to nourish my body with food that will sustain me for many years. (And not beat myself up when I scarf down a bag of chips and a few beers.)
- I practice yoga; it also soothes my soul, calms my brain and keeps my body strong and flexible.
- I tell myself how gorgeous I am every day – damn that grey hair looks hot, look at that beautiful soft belly and sagging boobs that housed and nourished 4 loving human beings etc…
- I try to show respect and love to all. Being less judgmental has eased my anxieties and my anger.
Now, please don’t go planning to start a yoga or walking practice, don’t promise to change your eating habits today. Instead, consider what makes you happy, what soothes your soul, what helps you feel healthy and strong. And every day, do what you can with what you have and take a single step in the direction you have chosen to go. When things get rough, remember you are already pure, perfect and complete, you are all that you need to be and that is good.