I consider yoga my road map through life; it has helped me address debilitating physical pain, it has soothed my depression, it has opened my heart and my mind, and it helps me make better choices and become a better person.
I figured I would write this post for those who are curious about yoga and want more clarity about the word, the practice, the lifestyle etc… I love that yoga has become more mainstream; I have yet to meet a human who could not benefit in some way from the gifts that yoga brings. I also despair that yoga has become so “trendy” because this celebrity has reduced yoga to a fad and caused confusion around, and distortion of, the practice.
Yoga is (or can be):
- A physical practice – the body will grow, stretch, and better understand what how it moves.
- A tool that enables the practitioner to be fully present to the body, mind and spirit on and off the mat.
- A practice that supports your spiritual path (regardless of your faith).
- A practice that eases stress, depression, anxiety, fear.
- An effective way to address many health concerns; it can play a significant role in your healing journey
Yoga is not:
- A cure-all.
- A ball-busting exercise class where you sweat, heave etc… (many classes use the term but not the principles).
- A contest.
- A weird religion where practitioners will try to convert you.
- A fad; people have been practicing yoga for 5000 years.
Hopefully these far-from-complete lists will help you better understand yoga. If you have any questions etc… please contact me or leave a comment.