“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ― Amit Ray
“Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ― Thích Nhất Hạnh
I love to teach breathing; one simple technique can transform a life in just days.
One of the best things about breathing is that every person on the planet already participates so it does not require any dramatic new habits or time commitments.
I use the following technique throughout the day whenever I think of it but especially when I am “doing nothing” – waiting at a traffic light, lying in bed, staring aimlessly at a website!!
- Exhale as fully as you can, gently squeezing your belly-button towards your spine.
- Take a moment to let the body be empty of breath, without forcing it.
- Your inhale will happen naturally – let the belly fill slowly.
- Once the belly is full, feel the breath expand up through the ribcage, into the collar bones.
- Again, take an effortless moment to enjoy the fullness of breath in the body.
- Repeat as many times as you like and as often as you remember throughout your day.
I hope you find this breathing as relaxing, grounding and transformative as I do.